Friday, April 4, 2008

Fictional Cheerleader Biography: Shannon


Shannon was born in Jackson, Mississippi, where her home has been preserved. She was educated at the Mississippi State College for Women, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Columbia University's business school. She later became a photographer of some renown while working for the Works Progress Administration.

But her true love was literature, not photography, and she soon devoted her energy to writing fiction. Her novel The Optimist's Daughter won the Pulitzer Prize in 1973. In later life, she lived near Jackson's Belhaven College. She died of pneumonia in at the age of 92, and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery.


10 comments:

Big Daddy Drew said...

/hears loud burp

Coming, Eudora!!!

naptown drew said...

This might be a little off-topic, but I haven't noticed anyone else mention it:

I don't like to be teased with the hope of reading some Sage Rosenfels prose only for it not to be delivered.

the beet said...

this is literally the greatest cheerleader bio ever

Unknown said...

(Dammit, BDD, I was totally gonna say that!)

This is why I like KSK; just like Bill Hicks was "Noam Chomsky with dick jokes," this site is "Eudora Welty with dick jokes." Or something.

StuScottBooyahs said...

she looks good for dead

smurphette said...

Bravo, flub.

1972DavidBowieFromTheZiggyStardustTour said...

Hot suff, comin' through! (NSFW)

http://blog.syracuse.com/shelflife/welty.jpg

DougOLis said...

Shannon looks like she's got a bit of a belly.

greebs said...

Not only do I love the whole post, but this specific picture -- which I posted on my blog back when it was on SI.

She pretty.

Barney said...

I am weeping. Oh shit my sides hurt. Eudora Welty? OMFG. Hell with the "golf clap" - I say standing O.

- B