Sunday, April 1, 2007

The Gay Mafia Sells Out


We had been talking to ESPN for a long time about making a move, but all of us were more or less distrustful of the idea. But all of us have careers and families to think about, so in the end sometimes you have to make compromises with what you believe in. We're not made of stone. The fact that we can write this blog for a living is something we've all dreamed about, and now it's coming true.

I won't lie. The new KSK won't be the same as the old one. The profanity will be gone. And a lot of the sexual and ethnic humor will have to be toned down - extremely toned down. And, per ESPN's internal policy, we can no longer take hard stances against major media figures, particularly within ESPN. The blogroll at the right will also be significantly reduced. We can no longer link to Deadspin or have any professional affiliation with Will Leitch. This sucks, and I hate the idea of more or less betraying Leitch like this. But he understands better than anyone.

I actually think this is a healthy thing. I know you won't agree. But I think the new restrictions will force us to become even more creative and deliver even better work. And I think that we can help improve ESPN from within. I truly do believe that, otherwise I never would have signed up for this to begin with. Plus, I get a byline now. That's right. My real name is Drew McDonald, and that'll be the name I go by at Page 2.

So thank you to all of you who supported us here at blogspot, especially Leitch and everyone else in the ol' blogosphere. I hope you join us over at Page 2 when we launch our Beta site tomorrow at Noon Eastern. This'll be the last post we write here at the old blogspot site. Tomorrow, everything starts anew. Hope you like it.

30 comments:

Ryan The Intern said...

Too bad it's a joke. I would have given you a week and a half before you were fired for posting a picture of Sean Salisbury's penis over here. And the over/under for veiled shots at Drew McDonald in a Simmons column would be about 28 per post. Ah, well.

Christmas Ape said...

That's silly. Your real last name is ######.

Matt T said...

Did you know the word gullible is in the bible?

evan said...

I can't get the thought of how a Japanese person would struggle with trying to say April Fools to someone

Christmas Ape said...

Evan:

Ape Leer Four?

Laser Rocket Arm said...

Ape for the win!

Billy said...

Tlicksy, Dlew... velly velly tlicksy.

Anonymous said...

hey rupert did you know the word gullible is in the dicitonary look. It is really. Oh hoisted by my own petard. I am so alone.
Stewie.

evan said...

ape: I'd imagine if they practiced, that would be it. Otherwise, they would get a bemused look and tell me "Ok happy four number one!"

Unknown said...

I hate you guys. I've had the best week ever, and you nearly ruined it. You can't do this to a guy who's just come out of a drunken stupor.

tollberg said...

Dammit, if I hadn't already fallen for two of these today (Gmail paper anyone?) you probably would have had me. And I would have gotten really mad and started throwing things. And in retrospect it would have been really funny.

Signal to Noise said...

Well played on the gag.

Barry.Petchesky said...

You're gonna get your asses sued for using that logo.

Barney said...

I just sent a Patriots friend condolences on the loss of both of his first round draft picks so I was braced for when I hit the KSK toggle at the top of my browser. Even knowing it HAD to be coming I still almost choked on all the hangover phlegm. Thank you gentlemen.

My verification is "jpdlozic" which I'm pretty fucking sure is a subliminal ad for some drug Phizer wants me to take for my memory or my penis or my penis-memory - which is awesome by the way.

- Barney

Tempusfugit, PA.

Rolf von Friedgen said...

As petty as it may be, I really can't forgive Henry Abbott for removing Deadspin from his blogroll. I realize I sound like the nerdiest nerd ever, but still - something about it really vexed me.

HadesGigas said...

And, per ESPN's internal policy, we can no longer take hard stances against major media figures

Wait, was that a dick joke?

swing4 said...

Hey, some people are self-employed and have more relaxed schedules than most. Those people may not keep the best track of dates. They may go slackjawed with shock upon reading something like this first thing on Sunday morning, before they realize that it is April 1st. They might be mad at you now for ripping them out of their hung-over stupor with this little "joke" of yours. They may return to bed now to sleep off the distress.*

*Yes, they sleep naked.

Unsilent Majority said...

Damn, even I was fooled! Thanks a lot Drew, next time warn me when I go out of town.

Don't hate on Henry, he's doing God's work. And God fucking hates Will Leitch.

Francis L. said...

I'm still voting fro Sanjaya

Landru said...

Nice work. You totally fooled my wife. Now she doesn't want to fuck you any more. And believe me--you'd do her.

Unsilent Majority said...

What makes you think we didn't?

save the steagles said...

You could never leave the generic luxury of blogspot lay-out #3.

Smush said...

I was actually fooled by this damn thing- thanks for making me feel like a retard, asshole.

On a side note, how far has Page 2 fallen that I was worried that Drew moving there would make HIM worse? That has got to be the lowest of the lows.

the blogmaster said...

had I believed this I would have been quite the fool, an april fool as it were

Rapist's Wit said...

Thank god I read the comments, and man do I feel retarded. I just read that and sat here in shock thinking about which one of my friends to call and start screaming at. It would have gone something along the lines of "Fucking KSK, sell-out motherfuckers, you think you know group of completely anonymous guys who write a blog and then they go and do this, probably the most hypocritical move possible, working with Peter King at SI as his intern is less of a bitch move." And then I decided to look in the comments, saw the word gullible, checked the date, sat there for 10 minutes, and then finally put two and two together. Well played and thank god it was a joke.

San_Erino said...

Got a call from a buddy who was cursing this site, Democrats (as usual; just put the phone down for 10 minutes), and another site (because it DIDN'T have an April Fool's joke). I asked him what day it was and after a 10 second silence he told me to fuck off and hung up.

Here's to more dick jokes. And idiot friends.

Ernest P. Worrell said...

I knew it was April and I still fell for it. I feel like a dumbass...

Sam R. said...

Imagine if it weren't a joke.

THEN how stupid would we feel?

jackin'4beats said...

JACKASSES!!! Good thing I remembered what day it was before I finished reading the whole post.

Now take down that logo before you give those douches a chance to take aim at you guys.

Landru said...

What makes you think we didn't?

Who said anything about past encroachments?